- 1/4 cup All-purpose shortening 3/8 cup Margarine (for Pastry)
- 1 1/2 Iced water (for Pastry)
- 1/4 cup Whole milk for baking (for Pastry)
- 15 oz. 100% Pure pumpkin 1/1 cup Brown sugar (for Filling)
- 1/8 cup Granulated sugar 1/2 tbsp. Cinnamon (for Filling)
- 1/16 tsp. Pumpkin pie spice (for Filling)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine the pumpkin, both sugars, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice and mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar and shortening into mixing bowl. Mix to a crumb consistency.
Add several tablespoons of the iced water until dough is formed. Shape into a log. Cut dough into approximately 2 oz. pieces. With a rolling pin, roll dough out to approximately 5" inches in diameter.
With the 5" dough, add a tablespoon of the pumpkin mix in the center. Fold over or "turn over" the other end of the pastry to make half moon shape. Press the end circle together and decorate with a fork to seal the pastry. Avoid getting the filling on the ends so that the pastry can seal properly. Poke the center of the turnover with a fork to allow steam to escape while baking.
Bake pastit for 20 minutes or until lightly brown. Take out of the oven and brush with milk for a glossy finish. Place back into the oven for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.